International R&E requires the collaboration of many researchers who work for different institutions and may also be spread geographically. Video Conferencing (VC) is an essential support tool and although many commercial solutions exist, the problems of ease of use, cost, reliability and trustworthiness can be barriers to their use within the R&E community.
R&E needs a low-cost, open and transparent alternative VC solution that requires no special software to operate and can be operated and supported from within the community.
eduMEET is a WebRTC web-conferencing platform, designed and developed within GÉANT project. Comprehensive and transverse approach resulted in set of services, that are supporting each other in order to offer a full value product, in particular:
- WebRTC video conferencing service;
- distributed STUN/TURN infrastructure to overcome firewall and NAT obstacles;
- monitoring, statistics and testing modules to assess the performance of the aforementioned components.
Who is eduMeet for?
Primarily the eduMEET service has been designed to support whole R&E communityy regardless of the field of research they are involved in. But it is an open source tool which can be used in many different sectors and activities, in particular we can point out four main customer segments which are the most interesting:
- NRENs - as a video conferencing service provider for national research and education societies;
- Research and education society across the EU - main target - as a supporting service in daily work and international research cooperation;
- Art society - An easy-to-use collaboration platform for remote education and live art performing;
- Integrators - creators and developers of integrated solutions (e.g. for medicine or education) where the video conferencing tool is an important part of the whole platform (e.g. Moodle).
To find out more visit eduMEET.org